Most ideas for food I get from Pinterest if we are being honest. When I see a baked good or a savory dish that is healthy and free of allergens, I jump on it to learn how to make it. This recipe is inspired though from a different source. If you follow my blog regularly you know all to well that I love to travel and eat out. This dish came from a little vegan place I was at called Vegenation in Las Vegas, Nevada. Check out my next post for a detailed review, but this place was a unique whole in the wall.
The dish I ordered was called “African stew” and delicious. Full of flavor, spiced to perfection and all the right texture made this dish a delectable dine. Did I mention it was creamy and could easily be considered comfort food?
- Garbanzo beans 1 8oz bag dry uncooked
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 tbs butter or other oil
- Rosemary to taste (fresh is best) 1 TBS
- Salt / pepper to taste
- Italian spices - like oregano, thyme, basil - the combo spices are the best 2 TBS
- Curry 1 TBSP
- Cayenne pepper a pinch
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- Fresh cilantro
- Pour the dry beans into a sauce pan with 6 cups of water and heat to a boil, strain then add 6 cups new water and soak in a bowl for 2 hours
- Skin and chop up the sweet potato into cubes, put in the crock pot
- Cut up the onions and peppers into chunks, throw into crock pot
- Add all the garlic into crock pot
- Add all the spices into the crock pot
- Blend the full can of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of the peanuts in the blender and pour over the contents of the crock pot
- Melt 4 TBSP oil of your choice (coconut for VEGAN and VEGETARIAN, I like grass fed butter the best though.
- Pour over contents of the crock pot.
- Turn crock pot on for 4 hours on high or 8 on low
- Serve when Garbanzo beans are all the way cooked and garnish with cilantro and peanuts
Optional: at the restaurant this stew was served over a bed of cooked quinoa. We don't eat many grains over hear but we also don't say no to healthy food! Your choice!
* CONTAINS PEANUTS *