Today’s Super Food?
I am going to be really transparent with you, I had digestive issues! I ate really healthy and avoided things I was allergic to at all costs. It seemed like this should have been enough, but it wasn’t.
Lately, I took up a new habit. Really, it’s the only thing I have changed about my lifestyle.
I drink a kombucha a day, which may seem like and expensive habit but it’s one that has helped my digestion, energy and acne, so the investment is far worth the cost. Usually I get the multi-green variety, which contains spirulina and blue green algae. It sounds gross, but it’s awesome and you can read more about spirulina HERE.
Anyway, back to ginger. I have swapped my daily green kombucha with the ginger variety now for over two months. For some reason when I first started drinking the ginger variety, the store was out of the green variety. Luckily this worked in my favor; I might have otherwise not had the chance to change my digestion! Upon drinking the ginger variety everyday, I was surprised to find that my gut was a lot calmer and visits to the bathroom more often… Always a plus:)
Now, I’m not a doctor nor prescribing anything. There is totally a possibility of other factors contributing I am not aware of. That being said, I decided to look into ginger a little more to see if it really was a super food making a difference in my body.
Ginger, I found:
- Is full of antioxidants
- Increases antioxidant enzymes (fighting free radicals (DNA damage))
- Boosts immune system (hello!!! Most the immune system is in the gut (70+ precent))
- Reduces inflammation in the body (a cause of disease)
- Can reduce pain in the body (most likely related to the above)
- Is considered an anti-cancer preventative supplement (not stating it’s a cure all)
- Is found to improve weight loss in those who take it
- Prevents nausea, especially for pregnant mamas
- Helps stomach ulcers
- Improves digestion and absorption of food (my personal favorite)
- Natural anti bacterial for the body
- And the list continues…..
WOW! Ok I’m sold!
I’ll be “rooting” for ginger from now on!! Haha… get it… “root”… Ginger is a roo…. Nevermind…
Some great way to get ginger into your diet are:
- Juice the root
- Drink ginger kombucha
- Grate ginger into your recipes
- Use slices to make tea
- Chop and throw into soups, stews and stir fry dishes
I think I will continue to take ginger weekly, what about you?