I wanted to make something hearty for my husband, but sometimes paleo cuisine can be too light for a man!
I had to think… What is a meal that would fill up a hungry man…..
Shepherd’s pie…. of course!
This is very easy… and tastes awesome so let me just get to it:)
- 1 sweet potato (large)
- 1 pound ground meat (I used spicy pork but grass fed beef is good)
- 1 large bag mixed frozen veggies (make it easy on yourself!) (0r you can chop up fresh of your choice)
- Some spices: salt, pepper and italian.
- Butter and another oil of choice (3 tbsp)
- Peel and cube sweet potato – bake at 350 and evenly coat with the spices and a little bacon grease or oil of choice for 30-40 minutes until you can pierce with a fork (depend’s on your oven!)
- When the sweet potato bake time is almost up, brown the ground meat in a skillet (iron best) until it is almost all the way cooked, adding whatever spices you like ( like salt, pepper, cumin ect.)
- Add frozen veggies to the skillet mid way through the cooking process so they get the meat juice – Yum!
- Remove the cubed sweet potato and mash up
- Add to a baking dish the vegetables and meat mixture, then spread the mashed sweet potato on the top. I added 2 Tbsp butter, a little salt and pepper then pressed it into the top of the sweet potato mash:) You can keep the meat and veggies in the skillet then cover with the sweet potato to save dishes.
- Bake for another 5 – 10 minutes in the oven so all the flavors mix.